Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Winter and dilemmas

Well, I find that I get into a bit of rut with my reading.  Back to the Graham Hurley series with Winter and Faraday - and Baz and the family - in Beyond Reach........ I love the way the stories build on each other - and how the characters develop - how they become almost like family.  And always some good detectiving - and Winter saving the day for his new boss - and some interesting information about birds (the feathered variety) through Faraday's bird watching exploits.

There are also interesting moral dilemmas - and this book had  a few.  A mother taking the law into her own hands - after the law was helpless in saving her son or bringing his killers to justice.  How solving an old crime can have awful consequences for the present - including the victim - law versus common sense.  It highlights that absolute laws may help provide a structure for society and "justice" - but that life is lived very much in the grey.  Religion often lis about the black and white.  I wonder if God is in the grey?

Had dinner with a priest who we met many years ago in PNG - and I used the words that I had lost my faith. His reply was that I had more probably found my faith - as faith wasn't contained in musty old books that are quite violent in parts - but in humanity and in love.  Maybe that was Jesus' message as well?  The priest used a story from one of the saints about him coming across a boy pouring sea water into a hole in the sand.  The saint asked him what he was doing - he said I am trying to put all of the ocean in this hole.  The saint called him stupid for thinking he could do that.  The little boy asked him what he did - he explained that he was trying to understand God.  The boy replied that if he tried to put all the knowledge about God in his head, then he was truly the stupid one.

Hmm - does this mean that I am not going to have it all worked out before I leave this life?  What arrogance to think I coudl even scratch the surface!  On with Winter and Faraday!

No comments:

Post a Comment