Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ends and beginnings

Well, so much for my varied reading.  I am just coming to the end of the essesntially 6 book series by Robin Hobb about the Farseers, Fitz and the Fool..... and as per previous blogs, I remain totally captivated by the writing, story and characters.  Coming to the end of such a series leaves you somewhat stranded..... like you are losing friends or family to a far place...... (but at least in that case, their story continues and you can continue to follow it, be part of it and drop in sometimes!).  Robin Hobb said on her web page that she does not think she will continue the story of Fitz and the Fool any more - but there is always that chance!

And, in relation to my earlier blogs about the confrontation - diffierences rather than similarities - in the religious/ (new) athiest positions - I was so encouraged to read a story passed on to me about Francis Collins who is Director of the National Institutes of Health, the researcher behind the Human Genome Project and a his interaction  with Christopher Hitchins (can't get the italics off!!!) Despite strong differences in faith positions, Collins says (from The Washington Post On Faith): "

"Some observers have expressed surprise that the atheist intellectual and the Christian physician-scientist could become friends. After all, in the current political climate in Washington, anyone who doesn't agree with you is supposed to be your enemy. But I would like to think that Christopher's sharp intellect has challenged my own defense of the rationality of faith to be more consistent and compelling. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).  On a personal level, I have been blessed by getting to know Christopher and Carol better - despite the "enfant terrible" reputation, Christopher has a warm humanity that is easy to perceive. And his willingness to be utterly open and transparent about his cancer diagnosis provides a breathtaking window into his personal integrity." He finishes with "Over these last few months, we have not talked directly about faith. He knows that I am praying for him. But my prayer is not so much for a supernatural intervention - as a physician I have not seen evidence for such medical miracles in my own experience. Instead I pray for myself and for Christopher along the lines of James 1:5 - "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." And I then give thanks for the chance to share in a deepening friendship."

This quite warmed my heart and  gave me hope that maybe dialogue and care can surpass "die in the ditch" positioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment