Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mystery and Law

Well, I just had a couple of quick reads that I enjoyed - marvellous how you can so quickly download things on your kindle!  Amazon must be laughing!  But - it makes it hard to share and pass books on to family......

So the books.  The first was by a relatively new Australian Author - Katherine Howell.  Katherine has a background of working in ambulances/emergency services and the books that I have read of hers use this experience as a backdrop.  Very classy writing I thought - and set around Sydney!  The book I just read was called "The Darkest Hour" - and told the story of two women - an ambulance paramedic and a police officer - and was focused around a series of deaths that were related.  The police officer was trying to prove herself in criminal investigation and the ambulance paramedic was trying to keep her job in the face of difficult circumstances.  There were some nice sub-plots based around relationships - the paramedic and her sister (her ex being the bad guy); the paramedic and her co-worker (like/love/want/need) who had a fiance that resented her; and the paramedic and the police officer - mutual like and support.  The pace was fast and well done and the story was satisfying.  Nothing too deep - just a good story!

The other was "The Reversal" by Michael Connelly.  Interestingly, I have never read a Michael Connelly book - although I have seen them around for ages.  The characters in this book - a flawed, divorced defense lawyer (turned prosecutor for this book); his ex wife (a prosecutor); and the investigating detective have a long list of stories behind this one - and a well developed history by the author.  It will be interesting to track back and see how the charaters developed over time - what were they like back in book one of the series?  I found the pace a bit slow at first - and a bit too technically legal - but it hotted up and had a few twists and blind gullies and an all too quick finish and wrap up.  Quite a good read in the end (although Katherine Howell kept me more firmly bound to my kindle!).

 After reading these two, I was in a mood to read more good detective type yarns - but was unsure where to go.  So I looked to Google to tell me what was a good read.  There were blogs and lists out there - and I came up with an author I had never heard about - Graham Hurley - who had written a detective series based in Portsmouth UK (where I have visited - Nelson's ship and all) which someone recommended.  So I downloaded "Blood and Honey" - not the latest as I thought that if I liked the style, I would have a couple of good books ahead in the series to read.  I will write about how I found it.  The first chapters are a bit of scene setting - has potential.

I continue to read Sam Harris - and more on him later....  Meanwhile, happy reading and philosophising!

No comments:

Post a Comment