Saturday, December 11, 2010

Buddhist Christmas Party

One friend described it as an Oxymoron - a Buddhist Chistmas party.  Maybe - but going for the 3rd time in a row - and I was just as touched again by it.  And it was a  real Christmas party - Open to anyone (and free - without even a donation box or offering in sight); presents from Santa to all; a nativity scene (as well as the odd Buddha); a wide range of free Asian food - nicely cooked and presented and plenty of it.  First course and sweets!  And entertainment - secular choirs singing Christmas carols - including Silent night ; traditional and modern dance; Bahai children singing; lucky door prizes - and finishing with a Prayer for World Peace.

The banners around the venue proclaimed things like: "We are all one family"; "Have true serenity"; "Have concern for all"; "Peace starts with ourselves" - none of which you can really disagree with.  Or at least I can't.  There was a recognition that as people - across races, nationalities, religions - we are closer than we are different.  And I found that rather nice.

Its not that I want to run off and become a Buddhist - and I know there will be strange and irrational beliefs and some inconsistencies in their teaching as with other religions - but I can't help but feel warmed by the sense of inclusive community and acceptance.  It saddens me that there are so many barriers preventing that same sense of family in the Christian faith of my background.  I think Jesus would have enjoyed the Buddhist Christmas party - or at least the Jesus who sometimes escapes the iron strictures that Churches build around him!

No comments:

Post a Comment